Friday, December 31, 2010

The infancy of Stoneboat 1.2

Last night the Stoneboat editors met at Lisa's house to discuss submissions. While Lisa and Jim were in the kitchen attending to our traditional meal of beer and pizza, Rob and I found ourselves standing around the living room. It was my first time in Lisa's house. Her furniture matched. The walls were decorated with framed art. There was no clutter. It smelled good. I was impressed-- my house still has the aura of a graduate student's abode rather than a professor's.

"It looks like a grownup lives here," I said.
"I know," Rob said. "It's so...clean."

That's how I feel about our journal, too. I am still in awe of Stoneboat 1.1. It looks like a grownup made it because it's so neat and coordinated and put-together. I'm not quite sure how we managed that miracle on our first attempt, but I do know that we are in good shape for a repeat performance. We've already discovered some great work for the second issue, and we're looking forward to receiving even more. We are excited about including black and white artwork this time around. We've got some fantastic ideas for the cover. If we can scrape together the funding, we might be able to expand to 60 pages. (You can help out with that by subscribing or purchasing a copy at Paradigm Coffee & Music in Sheboygan.)

In sum: Issue #2 is shaping up to be even more amazing than the first, and it's really easy for you to be a part of it -- all you have to do is submit or subscribe. (Or both!) Happy New Year to all, and to all a good night!

1 comment:

Poem of the Week - Lisa Vihos said...

Wow, you mean I have finally graduated to grown-up? That is huge. I can't believe it. Thanks for the feedback. I am standing in awe of all four of us, and Stoneboat too. Working with these three amazing minds (Signe, Jim, and Rob) has been one of the best things about 2010. It is only going to get better in the coming year for Stoneboat and everyone.